CY232 Parallel/Serial Interface & Network Controller
Not for New Designs*
- Single 5 volt power supply
- TTL on all I/O lines
- RS232 timing and format
- Baud rates of 300, 1200 and 2400
- Serial ASCII or binary characters
- Polled mode operation
- Ring network capability
- Half or full duplex
- Line turnaround capability
- Up to 256 addressable 8-bit devices per chip
- Address range specifiable
- Encoded or decoded addresses
- Serial interface to CY500, CY512, etc.
- 'Back-to-back' operation possible
- Direct interface to line drivers for RS232C
- Complete asynchronous handshake
- Replaces CPU, ROM, UART, MUX, Decoder
The CY232 Parallel/Serial Interface Device is a 5 volt, 40 pin, LSI package designed to interface between parallel TTL lines and a serial asynchronous communications line. Each CY232 can transmit and receive simultaneously (full duplex). Therefore, two CY232s can replace long parallel lines with a serial link. Each CY232 can address up to 256 parallel devices, and multiple CY232s can be connected in a network mode such that only addresses devices will respond. Applications range from simple parallel-to-serial transmission and serial-to-parallel reception to several complex network modes, making the CY232 an extremely versatile interface device.
CY232 Pin Configuration
1. ACK/ Acknowledge of transfer from parallel device 2. XTAL1 11.00 MHz Crystal connection 3. XTAL2 11.00 MHz Crystal connection 4. RESTART/ Restart causes CY232 to initialize 5. NC No Connection, for testing purposes 6. RxD Received Data from communication line 7. COM Power supply common 8. RD/ Read strobe for reading parallel device 9. NC No Connection, internal signal 10. WR/ Write strobe for writing parallel device 11. CLK 733.3kHz output, useful as a peripheral clock 12. D0 Data bit 0, parallel data I/O, LSB 13. D1 Data bit 1, parallel data I/O 14. D2 Data bit 2, parallel data I/O 15. D3 Data bit 3, parallel data I/O 16. D4 Data bit 4, parallel data I/O 17. D5 Data bit 5, parallel data I/O 18. D6 Data bit 6, parallel data I/O 19. DY Data bit 7, parallel data I/O, MSB 20. COM Power supply common 21. BR Baud Rate, serial I/O baud rate set 22. CHAR Serial Character selection 23. DUP Duplex selection 24. NET Network selection, in conjunction with DUP 25. ADD/ Address strobe for parallel device 26. VCC +5V 27. A0 Address bit 0, parallel device address, LSB 28. A1 Address bit 1, parallel device address 29. A2 Address bit 2, parallel device address 30. A3 Address bit 3, parallel device address 31. A4 Address bit 4, parallel device address 32. A5 Address bit 5, parallel device address 33. A6 Address bit 6, parallel device address 34. A7 Address bit 7, parallel device address, MSB 35. DAV/ Data available to parallel device 36. R-W/ Read/write selection for parallel device 37. TXD Transmitted Data to communications line 38. PAR Parity select for serial word 39. E-D/ Address coding for parallel device 40. VCC +5V
*The CY232 is not recommended for new designs. This is older technology that will ultimately be phased out. Cybernetic Micro Systems recommends the CY233 Local Intelligent Network Controller for new designs. Note: The CY232 and the CY233 are not pin compatible.